Monday, December 17, 2012

"He uses the foolish things of the world to confound the wise..." I Corinthians 1:27

My second "Date with Destiny" came about four years later.  I was nine years old at the time.  After living in Texas for many years, my parents had decided that God was calling them to move to Georgia.  At first, I was crushed by this news.  I knew that I was going to have to leave all my friends and family behind to start a new life. I was not excited about living in a new town, going to a new school, and meeting all new people.  After saying goodbye and crying many tears, we loaded up the moving truck and drove across the country.  

To say that we were thrilled when we arrived in Georgia is probably an understatement.  We were not necessarily thrilled by the idea of our move, but by the idea of getting out of the car and moving around after about 20 hours.  If you ever want to make a place feel like home to your kids, stick them in a car for countless hours. Trust me, they will be thrilled to arrive at the given destination!

Anyways, for the first three months (while looking for all the many things you look for when moving to a new place) we lived with my uncle Jeff and aunt Bonnie.  How we fit 10 people in a three bedroom house is still baffling to me, but somehow we made it work.  One of the first things we did when we arrived was look for a church to attend.  Personally, I thought it was good way to get out of the house to get some space.

After some research of churches in the area, my parents decided on a small "home church" for the upcoming Sunday.  Little did we know, God had big plans for us at such a small church.  That Sunday when we arrived at our chosen church, we discovered that we were the only Caucasian family present (these are the things that I find quite exciting in life).  We all hurried to our seats as the praise and worship music started.

After a couple songs, I remember a still, small voice speaking to me. "Tell that lady her baby is going to be okay."  I found myself gazing at a beautiful, tall, black woman who looked anything but pregnant (with no children around her).  I laughed to myself, thinking how crazy that "thought" had been.  Once again, I heard the same voice, "Tell that lady her baby is going to be okay."  By this time, I thought I might be a little nutty, but thought it might be God speaking to my heart.  I whispered quietly back to what I thought might be God, "God, if it's you speaking to me about that woman, I pray you would give me an opportunity to tell her because I definitely don't want to interrupt the service." 

To my surprise, the pastor got up from his seat immediately and walked towards the front of the room (while the worship pastor was in the middle of a song).  He ushered the music to stop and spoke these words, "I feel like the Holy Spirit is speaking to someone's heart. If you feel like God wants you to share something with someone, I want you to have the opportunity to do it now."  I was utterly shocked, but knew what I must do.

I slowly lifted my hand, as all eyes shifted towards me. I stammered as I looked at the woman and spoke, "I...I....I feel like I'm supposed to tell you that you're baby is going to be alright." Immediately the woman started weeping.  After what seemed like hours, she gathered herself and spoke, "Recently I found out that I am pregnant.  I haven't told anyone because I've been taking this medication because I've been very sick and there aren't any other options. One of the side effects is that it could kill the baby.  I've been praying about it a lot and now I know that everything will be okay."

We all stood there in amazement, speechless.  

I wish I could sit here and write that I knew those words would make an incredible impact on that woman, but to be honest, I didn't. I didn't know her situation, but God did.  He just chose to be gracious enough to use me.  He chose to use a nine-year-old girl to speak His word to someone, to let that woman know how much he cared about her and that baby.  

When God speaks, it may seem crazy or foolish to some, but allow him to use you-you will always be humbled and forever greatful that you chose to obey.  God delights in quick obedience.  This was just my second of many "Dates With Destiny" and a very compassionate God.











2 comments:

  1. Hi Hillary!! Thanks for sharing your experiences! I'm excited to follow your blog :) Merry Christmas- Allie McLeod

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're following and I'm glad that you are enjoying reading them. I hope you had a wonderful holiday! Also, I'm glad that I got to see you again this past summer :)

    ReplyDelete